Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday Afternoon Poetry, week 3


One Inch Tall

by Shel Silverstein


If you were only one inch tall, you'd ride a worm to school.

The teardrop of a crying ant would be your swimming pool.

A crumb of cake would be a feast

And last you seven days at least,

A flea would be a frightening beast

If you were one inch tall.


If you were only one inch tall, you'd walk beneath the door,

And it would take about a month to get down to the store.

A bit of fluff would be your bed,

You'd swing upon a spider's thread,

And wear a thimble on your head.

If you were one inch tall.


You'd surf across the kitchen sink upon a stick of gum.

You couldn't hug your mama, you'd just have to hug her thumb.

You'd run from people's feet in fright,

To move a pen would take all night,

(This poem took fourteen years to write--

'Cause I'm just one inch tall).

3 comments:

  1. I love Shel Silverstein, don't you? His poems usually make me laugh. I like how his poems are enjoyed by ALL ages. You picked a great one to share on your blog. Have a great week, Sloane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sloane, I am glad that I am not one inch tall! Everything would be big. Great poem you put on your blog. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem kind of reminds me of Stewart Little. We'll have to read his story together some time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in. I love comments. Bye.